Welcome...and initial guidelines...

This blog will be used in the spring of 2008 by 80+ students at Drexel University to investigate the effects of Iraq on culture and the reverse. Our goal will be to better understand why the US is in Iraq, and to question whether literature can help us on this journey.

Weekly plans and other materials will always be posted in Vista, not this blog. So go to Bb Vista to get the discussion prompts and other instructions.

I intend this blog to manage our discussions and track our collective investigation.

You should have received an email from me inviting you to become a contributor to this blog. The email was sent Monday afternoon to your official Drexel email address.

Sunday, May 18, 2008

Waiting in the Light

As I read through the blogs that Waiting in the Light concluded I felt pretty upset. The subjects of most of the blogs were concerned with the people in Iraq and Palestine. The tone was very dismal and had no hope. I thought there would be comments on the US in Iraq, but most of the blogs dealt with the damage that the Iraqi and Palestinian people have dealt with. Most commented on how the US has made it even worse for the people to live and how their friends and family are dying left and right. The first blog was titled, "there are no words" and basically described how there were no words for the suffering in Iraq. I felt sympathetic to the Iraqi people because I got a new perspective on their side. I have been so focused on what we are doing over there, I tend to forget what it must be like for the Iraqi families.

What I tend to forget is that they are people too, they have feelings and families and we are over there killing and ruining their cities. To hear comments about life from the other side made me realize the effects of war. We are really devestating thier lives and the blog was quite and eye opener.

No comments: