Welcome...and initial guidelines...

This blog will be used in the spring of 2008 by 80+ students at Drexel University to investigate the effects of Iraq on culture and the reverse. Our goal will be to better understand why the US is in Iraq, and to question whether literature can help us on this journey.

Weekly plans and other materials will always be posted in Vista, not this blog. So go to Bb Vista to get the discussion prompts and other instructions.

I intend this blog to manage our discussions and track our collective investigation.

You should have received an email from me inviting you to become a contributor to this blog. The email was sent Monday afternoon to your official Drexel email address.

Sunday, April 20, 2008

CSI

The first show that popped into my head was CSI. I know so many people that are huge fans of the show and in more than one episode, war has come up into conversations. One episode I remember specifically I believe is from the Miami series. There is a solider that was killed in Iraq and his brother thinks that he emptied his gun into him on accident but there was only one bullet in his brother. It turned out that these contractors had been over in Iraq because it's a free trip and they get paid a lot to do work over there and one of them had actually shot the guy. He was in such a rush to get away from the gun fire that he didn't realize that he had done it but he saw the guy go down and instead of trying to help him, he just drove off. If he had helped him there was a chance that he could have lived. The contractor made the comment that it was a war zone out there and that the CSI guys didn't understand so he responded that I'm sure the man he shot understands. He was doing everything to fight for his country and this contractor, who was also his friend, ended up killing him. I know this isn't a ridiculous connection really but I found it very interesting because I know there are a few times that they bring up the war in Iraq. They also talk about terrorism a lot and other current issues like illegal immigration. I think that it's good for shows to use current issues in their stories because it makes it more interesting. I find them intriguing even if it isn't a true story, mostly because you kind-of know what's going on and maybe could see something happening like the story they tell. I know there are also other shows with refrences to Iraq and terrorism as well. I just love the stories that they come up with for CSI. There are some pretty twisted stories and they try to make it someone you didn't suspect. In the episode I mentioned you didn't suspect the contractor because you didn't even know they were in Iraq because they weren't suppose to be there, it was like a secret mission.

No comments: