Welcome...and initial guidelines...

This blog will be used in the spring of 2008 by 80+ students at Drexel University to investigate the effects of Iraq on culture and the reverse. Our goal will be to better understand why the US is in Iraq, and to question whether literature can help us on this journey.

Weekly plans and other materials will always be posted in Vista, not this blog. So go to Bb Vista to get the discussion prompts and other instructions.

I intend this blog to manage our discussions and track our collective investigation.

You should have received an email from me inviting you to become a contributor to this blog. The email was sent Monday afternoon to your official Drexel email address.

Sunday, April 20, 2008

Popularity of MMOs Tied to War?

As a devout follower of the video game industry, I have always, since my childhood, been a gamer. I have watched this multibillion dollar industry evolve and transform over time in dynamic ways, resulting in the over-saturated market that currently exists. Recently, a relatively new genre of video games has made an explosion on the scene, massive multiplayer online role playing games (MMORPGS for short). These games allow gamers to create an alter ego (and avatar if you will) that exists in a gaming world with up to millions of players, thus the term "massive." These games rely on the interaction of gamers with one another and ultimately result in the creation of an alternate reality. When analyzing this entire new trend, I can't help but see blatant connections to the war in Iraq.
Particularly, one MMO has changed the entire industry by hooking players of all different backgrounds, World of Warcraft. When released in the fall of 2004, players were instantly engrossed in the huge world, wasting away hours upon hours of free time. Currently, World of Warcraft has millions of players ranging from all different backgrounds and nationalities. After the release of World of Warcraft in 2004, many other companies made MMOs hoping to capitalize on the new gaming fad. But why has this new genre become so popular amongst Amercians particularly?
Specifically, I believe that World of Warcraft literally provides an alternate reality where Americans can escape to when they are faced with the hardships of reality. The war in Iraq seems to keep escalating every year, so perhaps there is a tie to the ever increasing popularity of MMOs and the escalating situation in Iraq. I myself was immersed in this game for one summer. While I cannot say I was addicted to the experience, I can say, however, that I truly felt disassociated from reality. Thus, I truly believe that this increase in popularity of MMOs is a direct result from the hardships of reality, specifically the War in Iraq.
Now I didn't decide to play Warcraft for the sole purpose of escaping reality, I simply wanted a great overall gaming experience. From playing, I can honestly say that the designers intentions were not to create an escape from reality, but simply to provide an incredible gaming experience to the public. While this is so, I feel that Americans have used this game as a sort of mind-numbing "drug." Overall, I can't help but wonder whether this trend in gaming is having a positive or negative effect upon society. Perhaps only time will tell.

No comments: