Welcome...and initial guidelines...

This blog will be used in the spring of 2008 by 80+ students at Drexel University to investigate the effects of Iraq on culture and the reverse. Our goal will be to better understand why the US is in Iraq, and to question whether literature can help us on this journey.

Weekly plans and other materials will always be posted in Vista, not this blog. So go to Bb Vista to get the discussion prompts and other instructions.

I intend this blog to manage our discussions and track our collective investigation.

You should have received an email from me inviting you to become a contributor to this blog. The email was sent Monday afternoon to your official Drexel email address.

Sunday, April 20, 2008

"Military reality shows"

There is a show in its second season on Lifetime called "Army Wives." It follows the lives of a cast of women who are dealing with the challenges of having spouses in the military. Some of the issues are trying to fit in, trying to stay close to their army husbands and having to live by military rules. I've never seen the show myself but I've heard about it and seen commercials. These are a few comments on the comment page for the show's website:

"I love this show! I cry every episode. I can really relate the show, My husband has been in the Air Force for 6 years and we have 2 small children together. Thanks Lifetime."

"i love army wives it really relates to me because i have a fiancee in the army and i love him and miss him so much. this show reminds me that i am not the only one going through this. thanks lifetim!!!!!!!!!"

I think that displaying army life and life for people having to deal with members of their family who have been deployed are becoming more popular. I've seen "True Life" episodes on MTV with titles such as "I have a Husband in Iraq", "I'm home from Iraq", "I'm living in Iraq", and "I'm a Civilian Again." People who know soldiers who have been deployed probably find comfort in watching some of these shows because it may give them hope that their loved ones will return soon, or give them a glimpse of what it is like to be in Iraq or Afghanistan. Wives of men in the military may relate a lot to the hardships that the women in "Army Wives" face. I've seen several Iraq "True Life" episodes and I have really been interested in them because it gives me a glimpse into what it must be like to deal with having a loved one deployed and what it is like for these men and women who are putting their lives on the line. I know these examples are more of a direct connection to pop culture having to do with Iraq and Afghanistan but these "reality shows" have definitely become more common.

No comments: