Welcome...and initial guidelines...

This blog will be used in the spring of 2008 by 80+ students at Drexel University to investigate the effects of Iraq on culture and the reverse. Our goal will be to better understand why the US is in Iraq, and to question whether literature can help us on this journey.

Weekly plans and other materials will always be posted in Vista, not this blog. So go to Bb Vista to get the discussion prompts and other instructions.

I intend this blog to manage our discussions and track our collective investigation.

You should have received an email from me inviting you to become a contributor to this blog. The email was sent Monday afternoon to your official Drexel email address.

Thursday, April 10, 2008

Childrens Movies

I think that the articles gave an interesting interpretation as to how much society has changed over the years. I think that movies have changed a lot with society over the years. Like the articles said, there has been a large amount of horror movies that have been released in the past few years. They are over the top, disgusting, and violent, which many people seem to enjoy.

I think that one of the large movie markets that has changed drastically are children’s movies. When I was little, all of my favorite movies were of course Disney movies like Cinderella, Snow White, The Jungle Book, and The Little Mermaid. These movies didn’t exactly have complicated story lines, and were pretty simple in comparison to today’s children’s movies. Now, I can’t even get my little cousins to watch “old” Disney movies that I used to watch. They prefer to watch Shrek 1, 2, and 3, and the Spongebob movie and Herbie Fully Loaded. These movies are not even close to the kinds of movies I liked to watch when I was 6 or 7. These movies are definitely more violent and more complicated.

Children’s movies have changed so much over the past 10-15 years, but I believe it is directly connected to how much society has changed. The articles explain how post 9-11, society has changed so much. My little cousins for example, know so much more about certain things then I did at their age. They can work computers just as well as I can. There is so much more information open to them, and I think this is reflected in the children’s movies. I think that children are growing up much faster then children 10 or 15 years ago.

No comments: