Welcome...and initial guidelines...

This blog will be used in the spring of 2008 by 80+ students at Drexel University to investigate the effects of Iraq on culture and the reverse. Our goal will be to better understand why the US is in Iraq, and to question whether literature can help us on this journey.

Weekly plans and other materials will always be posted in Vista, not this blog. So go to Bb Vista to get the discussion prompts and other instructions.

I intend this blog to manage our discussions and track our collective investigation.

You should have received an email from me inviting you to become a contributor to this blog. The email was sent Monday afternoon to your official Drexel email address.

Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Uncertainty Today...

Even though Prof. McCann wants us to write about how uncertain life was many years ago, I feel it is uncertain today. I could talk about how we could have easily lost the Revolutionary War and Britan's revenge on us. I could talk about the Civil War and how we could live in a completely different country today. But, I feel uncertain about life in America today. It could be paranoia from seeing the black smoke of the twin towers from my very home, but I saw how easily people panic or freeze in a situation like that. People were running out of my school, and people were on the ground crying. Every firetruck, ambulance, and police car was leaving the town to go help in the city. To a 7th grader (me) it seemed as if the world was ending. There was nothing I could think of, there was nothing for me to reason. What was stopping a plane from hitting my school, or my house? What was stopping an Islamic extremist from walking into my smalltown public school and killing me and all of my friends. How would I know the differece between a terrorist and a normal middle-eastern immigrant? If our stock market crashed and our country went into a depression, would my family be able to make money? Would I be able to eat? Fortunately, my grandfather had a house and food on the dinner table when he grew up in the middle of the depression.

When people become desperate, they can do horrible and evil things. Just because we don't see starving people or ever see ourselves starving, doesn't mean it will never happen. In the words of Kanye West "Nothing is ever promised tomorrow, today."

My great grandparents were murdered by a man who was addicted to drugs, broke, and homeless. He was desperate for money so he broke into their house, tied them up, beat them untill they gave him everything, and then executed them. Desperate for money...

One day we may all be desperate....

1 comment:

future_tristar said...

I'm sorry about your great grandparents.

You're absolutely right; money, greed, power, and pure selfishness to be "the best" and "have it all" causes the mind to resort back to very animalistic instincts.

I have a feeling that we'll all be desperate one day. The thing that separates humans from most animal species is that we stick together. Although we stick together, people still have selfish tendencies. So it's like we are defying our purpose. And therefore, we'll be desperate when things that we need start to vanish before our eyes.