Welcome...and initial guidelines...

This blog will be used in the spring of 2008 by 80+ students at Drexel University to investigate the effects of Iraq on culture and the reverse. Our goal will be to better understand why the US is in Iraq, and to question whether literature can help us on this journey.

Weekly plans and other materials will always be posted in Vista, not this blog. So go to Bb Vista to get the discussion prompts and other instructions.

I intend this blog to manage our discussions and track our collective investigation.

You should have received an email from me inviting you to become a contributor to this blog. The email was sent Monday afternoon to your official Drexel email address.

Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Hometown Heroes- Blog 1

The war at first impression was something that I didn't understand much. Stemming from years back, I think that I was too immature to really understand some of the immediate causes and effects that the war has. It wasn't until I started seeing a bunch of my high school friends enlist into the war that I payed much attention to it.

A town like mine stems from a lower income and lower educational status in the world. To make it simple we have a lot of factory working parents. It is a small town where everyone knows each other's business and gets along decently well. The support for the war around my town is huge, mainly because a good portion of my school ends up enlisting into the military. I played football with a bunch of my best friends since I was little. Around junior year I started to realize that a number of my best friends had nothing more to look forward to instead of the military. I commend them for their bravery, but I also worry to death that I may attend one of their funerals in the near future.

My main point is that these young friends that I have spent a year in training and then headed right overseas. When I keep in contact, they have changed a bunch. They are no longer kids, they are men that I have the utmost respect for. As for the political side of the war, I'm not sure that I agree with much of the reason's why we are over there. I also don't want to learn much of the political stances of the war mainly due to the fact that I have about 10 friends in Iraq right now. Not saying that I am not open to learn about much of the political sides of our war, just stating that I'd rather support my friends than worry about the reason why they are over in Iraq. I get the majority of the news from my hometown paper, mainly because there is always a writeup about what the war is doing or how my friends are still alive. I try to watch the most unbiased form of news about the war by watching local action news 6, but we all know that being unbiased about the war is virtually impossible. Mainly I have mixed emotions about our war in Iraq, but I will let you know that I have more respect and love for the soldier's that are over there risking their lives everyday.

No comments: