Welcome...and initial guidelines...

This blog will be used in the spring of 2008 by 80+ students at Drexel University to investigate the effects of Iraq on culture and the reverse. Our goal will be to better understand why the US is in Iraq, and to question whether literature can help us on this journey.

Weekly plans and other materials will always be posted in Vista, not this blog. So go to Bb Vista to get the discussion prompts and other instructions.

I intend this blog to manage our discussions and track our collective investigation.

You should have received an email from me inviting you to become a contributor to this blog. The email was sent Monday afternoon to your official Drexel email address.

Monday, April 7, 2008

Did We Forget?

"How The War Has Affected Me"Well, I was 13 when the twin towers were hit. I grew up in the NYC suburbs so it affected my area significantly. Many of my friend's parents, aunts, uncles, cousins, friends, and even grandparents were killed in the attack. That day was when I recieved my first true "reality check" For the first time, I realized that no one is safe in this world. It does not matter who you are, how rich or poor, or what you've done your whole life. Everything can be gone in an instant and you are nothing more than a memory and a name on a stone. For all of you "Anti-War" supporters out there, have you forgotten? Killing thousands of lives in a cowardly "sucker-punch" attack is not good enough reason to go to war? It is a shame because you people are as cowardly as those terrorists. Defeating a faceless enemy is not an easy task when we have enough trouble identifying hispanics from middle-easterners. Yes support our troops effort, but remember, the military is a volunteer organization, they are there by choice. The war has opened my eyes to the reality of the world. It is unfortunate that everything is directed toward the evil in this world, but that is the struggle we all face.

No comments: