Welcome...and initial guidelines...

This blog will be used in the spring of 2008 by 80+ students at Drexel University to investigate the effects of Iraq on culture and the reverse. Our goal will be to better understand why the US is in Iraq, and to question whether literature can help us on this journey.

Weekly plans and other materials will always be posted in Vista, not this blog. So go to Bb Vista to get the discussion prompts and other instructions.

I intend this blog to manage our discussions and track our collective investigation.

You should have received an email from me inviting you to become a contributor to this blog. The email was sent Monday afternoon to your official Drexel email address.

Sunday, April 13, 2008

Comic Relief

Although horror movies seem to be "in", a lot of people, such as myself, don't like this genre of film. I personally have nightmares after I see a "scary", as me and my roommates call it. I have to close my eyes through the gory parts and look through my hand. I think the movie Knocked Up is a perfect example of how people need some comic relief. It is about a woman who meets a guy at a bar and they have a one night stand. About a month later she finds out she is pregnant and is keeping the baby. Although the couple has only been out once, they make an effort to date and have the baby together. I think the movie was hilarious and just what people want now and days post 9/11. I think it also comments on the pregnancy issue, because you see a lot of celebrities now having babies.

Other good films that have been quite popular recently are Juno and Superbad. I think although many people might like to be scared, my roommate says it's a lot more fun than comedies which are stupid and not funny. Other people prefer a good laugh to get their mind off all the violence in the world.

No comments: