Welcome...and initial guidelines...

This blog will be used in the spring of 2008 by 80+ students at Drexel University to investigate the effects of Iraq on culture and the reverse. Our goal will be to better understand why the US is in Iraq, and to question whether literature can help us on this journey.

Weekly plans and other materials will always be posted in Vista, not this blog. So go to Bb Vista to get the discussion prompts and other instructions.

I intend this blog to manage our discussions and track our collective investigation.

You should have received an email from me inviting you to become a contributor to this blog. The email was sent Monday afternoon to your official Drexel email address.

Saturday, April 19, 2008

I recently just watched a movie preview for "Harold and Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay". In the clip, Harold and Kumar are on a plane on the way to Amsterdam so Harold can finally woo Maria, the girl he is in love with. While on the plane, Kumar innocently smiles and waves to an old lady but the lady sees Kumar as a terrorist about to bomb the plane. As I watched this scene, I laughed hysterically and then I began to wonder if this might ever have in real life. I know that when I do fly overseas and I see someone that I think is from Afghanistan, I get a little bit paranoid, and my mind does get carried away. Don't get me wrong, I am not racist, at all. I respect all cultures and don't believe in discrimination. However, being only human, I am guilty of getting a little bit paranoid, all because of what happened on 9/11. The war in Afghanistan has affected us, without most of us even knowing. I did not have any friends or family who were murdered from 9/11 so when I first heard about it, I was confused, and didn't really think much about it. However, as time goes by, I realize how it has affected me because everything we do, watch, and talk about involves what happened in 9/11. Movie previews like the one I saw made me laugh for a second. It made me thinking, are we at the point where we can laugh about this now? Is pop culture like this affecting the way we view what happened on 9/11? It made me feel kind of guilty that I thought it was funny, because if this happened to someone in reality, I am sure that person would feel incredibly hurt.

No comments: