Welcome...and initial guidelines...

This blog will be used in the spring of 2008 by 80+ students at Drexel University to investigate the effects of Iraq on culture and the reverse. Our goal will be to better understand why the US is in Iraq, and to question whether literature can help us on this journey.

Weekly plans and other materials will always be posted in Vista, not this blog. So go to Bb Vista to get the discussion prompts and other instructions.

I intend this blog to manage our discussions and track our collective investigation.

You should have received an email from me inviting you to become a contributor to this blog. The email was sent Monday afternoon to your official Drexel email address.

Saturday, May 10, 2008

Indian Superstition

In the Indian culture, mostly everything that is done or not done is due to a superstition. For example, walking over someone, even if they are lying on the ground is supposedly one of the worst sins u can commit. It ranks just under the butchering of a cow, murder, and infidelity. A superstition I would like to talk about is playing with money can end in the loss of your money.

Money is considered very valuable, not in a materialistic way, but also in a religious way. Being a polythesistic religion, there is a Goddess of money. It is said, playing or gambling with your money will result in loosing that money, and having a severe blow to your financial stability. I have yet to see it happen, but then again I dont gamble yet, and the only way I play with money is flipping a coin. I don't know if this is true, but my grandparents scold me whenever they may even think I am playing with money. I want to obey my grandparent's wishes, but at the same time, I guess you never learn until it happen you.

No comments: