Welcome...and initial guidelines...

This blog will be used in the spring of 2008 by 80+ students at Drexel University to investigate the effects of Iraq on culture and the reverse. Our goal will be to better understand why the US is in Iraq, and to question whether literature can help us on this journey.

Weekly plans and other materials will always be posted in Vista, not this blog. So go to Bb Vista to get the discussion prompts and other instructions.

I intend this blog to manage our discussions and track our collective investigation.

You should have received an email from me inviting you to become a contributor to this blog. The email was sent Monday afternoon to your official Drexel email address.

Thursday, May 8, 2008

The Lies They Feed Us

My high school in North Jersey had a graduation rate of 99.9%. There were 270 people in my class and only two of them did not continue on to college. Since birth, it has been jammed into my head, and the head of all those around me, that the only way to be sucessful in life is to go to college. We have been preparing for college since preschool. It has always been a given for my sister and I to go to college, there has never been a doubt in anyones mind about that. It is very shocking for someone to not go to college in my town. This is crap. College is really important, getting a degree and shit really helps getting a job, but it is not necessary to be successful. Going to a vo-tech school in high school, being involved with a career because high school is over, there are many ways to prepare yourself to be independant. I was offered a very well paying job with School of Rock Inc. right outside of high school, which looking back on I should have taken because college is slowing down my career. But, because it would be so 'mortifying' for me not to college, I made the decision to come to Drexel. Also because it is an exuse to have no responsibility for another 4 years. This myth has been formulating for decades, and I fear that it will soon grow and grow and those who can not afford or can not get in to the college they want to will give up on having a successful career.

1 comment:

future_tristar said...

Being in college is an excuse not to have responsibility?