Welcome...and initial guidelines...

This blog will be used in the spring of 2008 by 80+ students at Drexel University to investigate the effects of Iraq on culture and the reverse. Our goal will be to better understand why the US is in Iraq, and to question whether literature can help us on this journey.

Weekly plans and other materials will always be posted in Vista, not this blog. So go to Bb Vista to get the discussion prompts and other instructions.

I intend this blog to manage our discussions and track our collective investigation.

You should have received an email from me inviting you to become a contributor to this blog. The email was sent Monday afternoon to your official Drexel email address.

Friday, May 9, 2008

Italian Tradition

My entire family is Italian and we definately live up to the traditional stereotypes of Italians. Our family is huge, so our get togethers are always packed and eventful. Everyone is loud and animated and always telling stories from the old days when they were growing up. And, of course, there is always ten times the amount of food that we actually need. There's always the pasta: the spaghetti, the rigatoni, the lasagna, the stuffed shells, and the gnocchi. We have multiple antipastos and amazing desserts. There are always mountains of pizzelles, biscottis, and cannolis. My uncle Joe actually buys out the Italian bakery near his house everytime we have any type of family function.

Being Italian, I've always grown up with strong role models in my family members, especially in my mom and my grandmother. The importance of family ties has always been emphasized and as I grow up seeing family and spending time together is more and more important. I think growing up with such a strong and present heritage has helped me figure out who I am, who I want to be, and has helped me be independent when I want and need to be.

No comments: