Welcome...and initial guidelines...

This blog will be used in the spring of 2008 by 80+ students at Drexel University to investigate the effects of Iraq on culture and the reverse. Our goal will be to better understand why the US is in Iraq, and to question whether literature can help us on this journey.

Weekly plans and other materials will always be posted in Vista, not this blog. So go to Bb Vista to get the discussion prompts and other instructions.

I intend this blog to manage our discussions and track our collective investigation.

You should have received an email from me inviting you to become a contributor to this blog. The email was sent Monday afternoon to your official Drexel email address.

Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Self-Mythologizing Post Wk. 6

I don't really consider myself to belong to any type of sub-culture, but what immediately came to mind when I was reading this assignment was the Philly-Hipster-Bike-Vegan-CoolKid group. You can see them everywhere around the city especially in West Philly. But the deal with these kids is that they are like pseudo-neo-hippies: they only ride bikes around and never drive, or take public transportation anywhere. They live on their bikes. They also live on vegan food, they probably don't go to college, and they will let you know all about it. They wear that shit on their sleeves. So, when I was first exposed to this sub-culture, or whatever you want to call it, I figured I would never fit in because I don't ride a fixed gear bicycle, I enjoy riding the subway, and I eat red meat like it's my job. So right away these kids were not really digging me, because I don't advertise myself like all these other dudes do. But I actually started to meet people that were just like me, (public transit-riding, meat-eating students) and it turned out I could actually have a decent conversation without being looked down upon like some ultra-conservative anti-liberal Nazi. So in the end, it turns out that to be a hipster, you don't have to be vegan and you can ride whatever kind of bike you want, just as long as you do ride a bike, asshole! But God knows I definately don't want to be classified as some haggard West Philly hipster. I just want to ride my bike.

No comments: