Welcome...and initial guidelines...

This blog will be used in the spring of 2008 by 80+ students at Drexel University to investigate the effects of Iraq on culture and the reverse. Our goal will be to better understand why the US is in Iraq, and to question whether literature can help us on this journey.

Weekly plans and other materials will always be posted in Vista, not this blog. So go to Bb Vista to get the discussion prompts and other instructions.

I intend this blog to manage our discussions and track our collective investigation.

You should have received an email from me inviting you to become a contributor to this blog. The email was sent Monday afternoon to your official Drexel email address.

Monday, April 28, 2008

Better Insight on War

Compared to the first week of class, I feel that I have a better insight on war, whether it is the one in Iraq, Somalia or elsewhere. I found the assigned readings very useful in understanding the complexity of war and its impact on art. I remember the article about the Marlboro Marine, which we had to read in the first week. Back then, I was less aware of the war-art relationship, but now I understand why the article placed emphasis on the photo of the marine who was smoking a cigarette on the battlefield.

Also, Bartleby the Scrivener helped me understand the importance of not showing apathy to the people who are in need of affection and relief. I think Bartleby's personality can be traced to that of any disgruntled soldier, like the one in the Black Hawk Down article, who was too afraid to go to combat. The sergeant who managed to motivate the soldier reacted much better than Bartleby's boss, who at one point tried to get away from him, telling himself that caring about the scrivener will only make him suffer more.

No comments: