Welcome...and initial guidelines...

This blog will be used in the spring of 2008 by 80+ students at Drexel University to investigate the effects of Iraq on culture and the reverse. Our goal will be to better understand why the US is in Iraq, and to question whether literature can help us on this journey.

Weekly plans and other materials will always be posted in Vista, not this blog. So go to Bb Vista to get the discussion prompts and other instructions.

I intend this blog to manage our discussions and track our collective investigation.

You should have received an email from me inviting you to become a contributor to this blog. The email was sent Monday afternoon to your official Drexel email address.

Sunday, April 27, 2008

In my first post, the war in Iraq seem so useless to me. But I understand that we are there to take out the militants and set up democracy. I do not agree with the methods we used and how we got in there, and I still feel we should have stayed out. Since we are in Iraq, we might as well stay until we set up a working government, one that will not fall. We started the war in Iraq, and we must finish it. Finishing it is not just taking out the militants and rescueing the harmed but to make sure the country basically becomes like a "mini-US", or as close to that as possible.


I guess what we read in class definately can sum up the ideas and feelings I have about the war. Just like Bartelby, I would love to stay out of the war, because well we went for one sole mission, which was Osama Bin Laden, but now we left him for Saddam. "I would prefer not to", as Bartelby would say, go into Iraq from the get-go, but since we are there we should complete the job. The people in Iraq are like the narrator. The narrator really want Bartelby out of his home/work place. Iraqis would love to have all of America out of their home and live peacefully without America, but they are attached to America because they need us to help the minorities against the militants. I guess war really does affect art and vise versa.

No comments: