Welcome...and initial guidelines...

This blog will be used in the spring of 2008 by 80+ students at Drexel University to investigate the effects of Iraq on culture and the reverse. Our goal will be to better understand why the US is in Iraq, and to question whether literature can help us on this journey.

Weekly plans and other materials will always be posted in Vista, not this blog. So go to Bb Vista to get the discussion prompts and other instructions.

I intend this blog to manage our discussions and track our collective investigation.

You should have received an email from me inviting you to become a contributor to this blog. The email was sent Monday afternoon to your official Drexel email address.

Sunday, April 27, 2008

Open- Minded

I believe the differences from week one are because we are all more open-minded, or maybe just me. You see on the news, the stories about killings and deaths and you really don't go deeper into the story for a lot of different reasons. But because we are in this class and finding new information our minds are open to a whole new side we don't usually see. Like I read a book that told funny and sad stories about the soldiers for my first project. It went deep into the Vietnam War and a group of soldiers, but it opened my eyes. The news articles I have found and read and opened my eyes. I kind of want to learn more about it now. I still don't want to go fight, but I believe that the people fighting are heroes for just being over there. There is more stories behind the stories I am reading now, but I am learning. I believe that we can continue to learn and continue to see new aspects of the war. I think their are new stories about the war, basically everyday. They can be fake or real, but they still show you the war. I believe war is something that you can learn about forever, and I guess that is how it will always be.

1 comment:

future_tristar said...

The open-mind approach to learning things is so ideal. The more things a person can ingest into the brain and store as knowledge, then more connections can be made and drawn upon.

Reading articles, as you have said, are a great way to see things through another perspective, one that disproves the false assumptions that we attempt to make on our own.

Have you tried looking at political cartoons? You may appreciate them a little more now that you have more knowledge about the war and different viewpoints to base your own opinions off of.