Welcome...and initial guidelines...

This blog will be used in the spring of 2008 by 80+ students at Drexel University to investigate the effects of Iraq on culture and the reverse. Our goal will be to better understand why the US is in Iraq, and to question whether literature can help us on this journey.

Weekly plans and other materials will always be posted in Vista, not this blog. So go to Bb Vista to get the discussion prompts and other instructions.

I intend this blog to manage our discussions and track our collective investigation.

You should have received an email from me inviting you to become a contributor to this blog. The email was sent Monday afternoon to your official Drexel email address.

Sunday, May 11, 2008

Asians= Good at Math?

Being an asian girl, I love doing math problems, do all my homework on time, and start on my papers two weeks ahead of time. Being that I am writing this post half an hour before it is due, we all know that this is NOT true. Yes, I try my best in school, get good grades, and I am asian, but it is NOT 'BECAUSE" I'm asian. It really upsets me when I hear the myth or the stereotype that asians are naturally smart. In my case, I was never the smart girl. I really struggled in school because I hated math. However, I loved to write(don't judge my writings on the post, it's just posts), but of course, asians aren't supposed to be good at writing, right? It really upset me a lot in school when I wouldn't do well in school. Friends would make fun of me, asking, "You're asian! You're supposed to be born with math skills!" People would expect me to do well, and when I would try hard and not get the grade I wanted, I got really disappointed. Also, the times when I DID do well, people would not look at is as a great accomplishment as I would have, for they would just say, "You are supposed to do good, you're asian.." It would just be expected of me, and it is definately a huge part of my life that I struggled with. I've always had to prove myself that I can be that smart person, not that smart asian.

No comments: