Welcome...and initial guidelines...

This blog will be used in the spring of 2008 by 80+ students at Drexel University to investigate the effects of Iraq on culture and the reverse. Our goal will be to better understand why the US is in Iraq, and to question whether literature can help us on this journey.

Weekly plans and other materials will always be posted in Vista, not this blog. So go to Bb Vista to get the discussion prompts and other instructions.

I intend this blog to manage our discussions and track our collective investigation.

You should have received an email from me inviting you to become a contributor to this blog. The email was sent Monday afternoon to your official Drexel email address.

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Week 7 Kurdo's World blog review

Since I could not get into the "L" blog, for unknown technical reasons, I chose a "K" one instead. It's called Kurdo's World, and it's apparently about life in Kurdistan, which is a place I never knew existed. Thanks to good ol' Wikipedia, I found out that Kurdistan is largely inhabited by the Kurd people (go figure), and it covers parts of Eastern Turkey and the northern parts of Iran and Iraq. Kurdistan is also the only region of Iraq that has gained official international recognition as an autonomous federal state. But back to the blog itself...All of the posts are at least 2 years old, dating way back to late 2005, and most of them have to do with the first ever Iraqi national elections. Also, some of the posts talk about the trial of Saddam Hussein, so one can tell that it's been a while since someone has updated this blog. But one thing that caught my eye and which I thought was pretty funny was when someone posted that the Saddam trial was unfair, not to Saddam- but to his victims, because the broadcast of the trial had a 30-minute looped delay, so they couldn't watch his downfall on live TV. Other than Saddam's trial and the Iraqi National Elections, there really isn't much else said. But surprisingly, the tone of this blog is pretty sarcastic and filled with dry humor. From what I got out of it, the authors seems to be from Kurdistan themselves, and have a pretty good sense of humor for all the terrible shit that's going on right in their own backyard. This makes me feel pretty good, considering how the people directly effected by this war can still laugh about it. What I also thought was pretty cool was how the elections actually went down. Apparently, after each person voted, they would get their thumbs dipped in purple ink so they would be not be allowed to vote again; distinguishing themselves from the ones who hadn't voted. But one author said that the ink would wash right off, so a lot of people would go back 2, 3, or even 4 times to cast their votes. Since voting is my right, I guess I can't appreciate the want to vote so bad that it would make a person go back 3 or 4 times. Sometimes I think of voting as a hindrance to the goings-on in my daily routine. Shows how spoiled us Americans are, ay?

No comments: