Welcome...and initial guidelines...

This blog will be used in the spring of 2008 by 80+ students at Drexel University to investigate the effects of Iraq on culture and the reverse. Our goal will be to better understand why the US is in Iraq, and to question whether literature can help us on this journey.

Weekly plans and other materials will always be posted in Vista, not this blog. So go to Bb Vista to get the discussion prompts and other instructions.

I intend this blog to manage our discussions and track our collective investigation.

You should have received an email from me inviting you to become a contributor to this blog. The email was sent Monday afternoon to your official Drexel email address.

Sunday, May 11, 2008

Jewish = Money myth

Ever since I can remember, I've always heard the phrase "Oh, he is jewish, he has tons of money." Granted my dad is a dentist and my mom is a nurse anesthetist, so they do well. The fact that they do well has nothing to do with them being Jewish. It really bothers me to hear the word Jew linked to money. Another way Jews are linked to money is the fact that they appear to be cheap. I've seen kids throw pennies at Jewish kids to see if they would pick it up because they are Jewish and cheap. I think that the fact of Jews being successful and having money has nothing to do with the fact that they are Jewish, which in turn makes them cheap and rich. I think it has to do with the values that Judaism installs that makes Jews successful. Maybe i'm wrong though, maybe jews are richer, just because there jewish. But if that is true, I would like to know why.

No comments: