Welcome...and initial guidelines...

This blog will be used in the spring of 2008 by 80+ students at Drexel University to investigate the effects of Iraq on culture and the reverse. Our goal will be to better understand why the US is in Iraq, and to question whether literature can help us on this journey.

Weekly plans and other materials will always be posted in Vista, not this blog. So go to Bb Vista to get the discussion prompts and other instructions.

I intend this blog to manage our discussions and track our collective investigation.

You should have received an email from me inviting you to become a contributor to this blog. The email was sent Monday afternoon to your official Drexel email address.

Sunday, May 11, 2008

You work for your parents?

I have worked for my mother at her bakery for the past 3 years. I have enjoyed working at the bakery and I have enjoyed working in the comfortable work environment.
If I tell people that I work for my mom it is assumed that, I dont really work and that I am overpaid for my labor. I work as hard or harder than other employees at the bakery and I am paid the same as other employees.
The belief that working for your parents leads to an unproductive employee may make sense in certain citations. If your parent is the owner of a business and you work for your parent than being fired would be near impossible. Your parent would also want to take care of you by increasing your hourly pay.
I would not enjoy working for my mother if i knew that I was being over paid and I was not performing work at a high level. It would be embarrassing to work for my mother because I have some sort of advantage in being paid more and have top priority. I try and make my mother proud whenever I am working by keeping up a fast pace and followin directions to get ready

No comments: