Welcome...and initial guidelines...

This blog will be used in the spring of 2008 by 80+ students at Drexel University to investigate the effects of Iraq on culture and the reverse. Our goal will be to better understand why the US is in Iraq, and to question whether literature can help us on this journey.

Weekly plans and other materials will always be posted in Vista, not this blog. So go to Bb Vista to get the discussion prompts and other instructions.

I intend this blog to manage our discussions and track our collective investigation.

You should have received an email from me inviting you to become a contributor to this blog. The email was sent Monday afternoon to your official Drexel email address.

Sunday, May 11, 2008

Italians: Old World vs. New World

One myth from my culture is that every single Italian family is huge. While it is true that my family is one-hundred-percent Italian, there are not that many of us. My maternal grandparents only had two children, my mother and my uncle. My uncle is not married and doesn’t have any kids, and my mom is married with three kids. My paternal grandparents had four kids, but those four kids only had five children, counting my brother and I. That’s four grandparents, who had six children, who in turn had six kids. I don’t think there are any more children coming any time soon. So although there is a myth that all Italians have huge families, it is not necessarily the case. Even other Italians think this. I believe that this myth is self-propagated due to the very old-world view that you should have as many kids as you can because of the hard times. There was a belief that the more kids you had, the higher the chance that at least one will survive, and also that more kids meant more people who could work to support the family financially. I believe that this myth was truer in the past, but that it is becoming less and less true due to modern times and ways of thinking.

No comments: