Welcome...and initial guidelines...

This blog will be used in the spring of 2008 by 80+ students at Drexel University to investigate the effects of Iraq on culture and the reverse. Our goal will be to better understand why the US is in Iraq, and to question whether literature can help us on this journey.

Weekly plans and other materials will always be posted in Vista, not this blog. So go to Bb Vista to get the discussion prompts and other instructions.

I intend this blog to manage our discussions and track our collective investigation.

You should have received an email from me inviting you to become a contributor to this blog. The email was sent Monday afternoon to your official Drexel email address.

Sunday, May 11, 2008

Giving up on a fairytale

I believe that love is enough, or (like the song) love is all you need, is a myth. I've seen so many people be in love and break up for different reasons. I was led to believe that love was enough and that if you really love someone you fight to make it work no matter what. I feel like people give up way too easily anymore. They think that it's suppose to make everything better and it doesn't. When you're in love you still need other things and can feel bad. Love doesn't fix everything. I think another problem is that people expect too much from love and that it's going to be easy to keep love. Love is never easy, life is never easy. People have gotten lazy and forgotten why they even try in the first place, which is really sad. If you forget why you tried you stop trying and things fall apart. You see it in movies all the time. When people really love each other but some stupid things gets in the way and they "can't be together" when in actuality if they tried they could make it work. They just have to believe in it and be willing to work for it and realize that it's worth it. I do think that being in love is one of the greatest things ever and that's why people think that it's all you need but I think that people take that way too literally. Obviously you will still need to eat and stuff like that, so you can't just expect things to come to you. I think that people create the 'reasons' that they can't be together in their heads because they don't want to try anymore. I think that it's possible for people to fall out of love but I think that those people just let it happen. I don't know if I'm really explaining this right but I think that it's mostly people giving up and thinking that they can't do anything about it.

No comments: