Welcome...and initial guidelines...

This blog will be used in the spring of 2008 by 80+ students at Drexel University to investigate the effects of Iraq on culture and the reverse. Our goal will be to better understand why the US is in Iraq, and to question whether literature can help us on this journey.

Weekly plans and other materials will always be posted in Vista, not this blog. So go to Bb Vista to get the discussion prompts and other instructions.

I intend this blog to manage our discussions and track our collective investigation.

You should have received an email from me inviting you to become a contributor to this blog. The email was sent Monday afternoon to your official Drexel email address.

Sunday, May 11, 2008

Which parent to go to?

I chose to write about the myth that males are stricter when raising
their children than females because the mother is usually the more
loving and caring one. I don’t feel that this is correct because
personally win my family my mother is the more strict parent and my
father is the one that is more there to make you happy. However this
is a nice touch because typically the fathers are there to play sports
with or get money from. I think this is partially because in the past
the father has been the bread winner of the family and they have the
money. On the other hand my mother is the major bread winner in my
family but I can’t get money from either of them. I think culturally
there is a sense that the male is stronger and can get the child to do
whatever is needed. This is very ironic because in most of the
families that I am friends with the mother is the one that will take
charge and make the child do their chores or go to bed. On that note
the father is the “chill” one they don’t really care what happens as
long as they aren’t getting yelled at. This is a major misconception
that is often overlooked. In reality it depends on the family and
there is no way one can tell who is the more overbearing and who is
less strict

No comments: