Welcome...and initial guidelines...

This blog will be used in the spring of 2008 by 80+ students at Drexel University to investigate the effects of Iraq on culture and the reverse. Our goal will be to better understand why the US is in Iraq, and to question whether literature can help us on this journey.

Weekly plans and other materials will always be posted in Vista, not this blog. So go to Bb Vista to get the discussion prompts and other instructions.

I intend this blog to manage our discussions and track our collective investigation.

You should have received an email from me inviting you to become a contributor to this blog. The email was sent Monday afternoon to your official Drexel email address.

Sunday, May 11, 2008

Not Jewish

Although I am not the most Jewish person I know, nor am I that religious at all, I have observed a few myths associated with it. It is very important to marry another Jew. My best friend and her family truly believe that. She recently met a guy who is not Jewish and after dating for a few months, they claim to be in love. Now, this is not even close to leading to marriage, but in the beginning my friends parents were completely against the relationship. Why even date him if you're not going to get married? Recently, after 5 months of dating, my friend's parents and her boyfriend sat down for dinner together. She told me it went well and they are starting to accept him for the person he is and not the religion he follows. I babysit for a very religious couple and the wife is not Jewish. They have been very happy together and celebrate all the Jewish holidays and raise their kids such. I think it is important to look at people for who they are and not their beliefs. As long as they are good people and their beliefs are pure, that is all that should matter.

No comments: