Welcome...and initial guidelines...

This blog will be used in the spring of 2008 by 80+ students at Drexel University to investigate the effects of Iraq on culture and the reverse. Our goal will be to better understand why the US is in Iraq, and to question whether literature can help us on this journey.

Weekly plans and other materials will always be posted in Vista, not this blog. So go to Bb Vista to get the discussion prompts and other instructions.

I intend this blog to manage our discussions and track our collective investigation.

You should have received an email from me inviting you to become a contributor to this blog. The email was sent Monday afternoon to your official Drexel email address.

Saturday, May 17, 2008

Where is Raed?

For the blog that was assigned, we had to choose the blog closest to your last name which led me to a blog titled "Where is Raed?" The blog began in 2002 and was last updated in 2004. My first impression of the blog was that it was very dark and gloomy. Having a black background and dark blue lettering making it rather hard to read.

After taking a closer look at some of the posts I found that the author of these posts "Salam" used a lot of different links in his posts allowing the reader to go to different websites that gave similar opinions or discussing the same topics he is. At different points in time "Raed" also responds. Salam gives the impression that he is locked up somewhere and gives inputs on the war, discussing things that occur to him on different days. He seems like him and his family are rather close to the war.

Looking even closer, it seems that he films different events. and titled the blog where is Raed? because that is one of the people he keeps in touch with. At one point in the blog "Raed" posts:

Wednesday, March 03, 2004

salam i was trying to call your phones all the day long, i hope u didnt die in the karbala explosions

I'm coming back to baghdad next week

Saturday, March 06, 2004

I am sorry, please accept my apologies for not updating. My mind doesn't seem to be able to multi-task any more, I am in filming mode, and with a certain person here with a whip in her hand, I can't even get a chance to check my emails. Karbala was one of these things I will never ever forget in my whole life, I don't care what you think of the rituals that are practiced, the fact is that the atmosphere was beautiful. Peacful and so much passion and devotion, it brings tears to your eyes. I have seen things that left me baffled for hours. I, my mother and my cousin were out of the center of the city, running, by the third mortar. it was the last two that did the damage and it happened near the shrine of Abbas not al-Hussein where we were staying......

He continues on discussing his footage in the next three paragraphs.

This blog is definitely a very different look on the war putting a new perspective and seeing it through this person's eyes.

No comments: