Welcome...and initial guidelines...

This blog will be used in the spring of 2008 by 80+ students at Drexel University to investigate the effects of Iraq on culture and the reverse. Our goal will be to better understand why the US is in Iraq, and to question whether literature can help us on this journey.

Weekly plans and other materials will always be posted in Vista, not this blog. So go to Bb Vista to get the discussion prompts and other instructions.

I intend this blog to manage our discussions and track our collective investigation.

You should have received an email from me inviting you to become a contributor to this blog. The email was sent Monday afternoon to your official Drexel email address.

Monday, May 12, 2008

Them Line Mountain Boys

In my high school, Line Mountain, we are known for our wrestling program. We have the most banners for things won in our gymnasium. When you drive up our school hill to get there you always see the sign with the years we won state championships in the 90's. I was apart of the wrestling team for 4 years and helped bring it back to where it was in the late 90's. It fell apart in 2000 until I got their in 2003 along with my classmates and other teammates who started to bring it back.

I think it was myself, or one of my teammates who first had a short saying, "It's them Line Mountain BoYz". This from a song we heard, we put in our name, and then we took off with it. Everyone in our community knows we were good, and do well and work hard. But what they don't know about is this saying we have on our team, and I think one that kept our team together, as we stepped back into the state championship stage we were once in for the past 4 years now. Behind this saying it is understood to our team that we are just country boys, homegrown, average not very big at all, but we bring heart to the table everytime. We like to make a bang and show people what we have. Its this myth kind of saying and mentality that people don't know about thats in out team, and in the practice room. I still say it to my teammates even now that I am out of college and they no exactly what I mean. So like the golfers pointed out the penalties, we brought out this small line to one another around the team, like we are one unit. And this probably came to be through the known idea that Line Mountain works hard and go after what we want.

No comments: