Welcome...and initial guidelines...

This blog will be used in the spring of 2008 by 80+ students at Drexel University to investigate the effects of Iraq on culture and the reverse. Our goal will be to better understand why the US is in Iraq, and to question whether literature can help us on this journey.

Weekly plans and other materials will always be posted in Vista, not this blog. So go to Bb Vista to get the discussion prompts and other instructions.

I intend this blog to manage our discussions and track our collective investigation.

You should have received an email from me inviting you to become a contributor to this blog. The email was sent Monday afternoon to your official Drexel email address.

Monday, May 26, 2008

An All-American Weekend

Memorial Day - Honors men and women who have died in military service/

I made a great effort this weekend to honor the deceased American troops this weekend. I thought there would be no better way than to do American things this weekend. I made sure to eat American food and listen to American music. I also went to a small graveyard for WWII veterans who died in combat.

My friend who went to college in Arizona introduced me to country music this weekend.

And I’m proud to be an American,
where at least I know I’m free.
And I wont forget the men who died,
who gave that right to me.


God Bless The U.S.A.

by Lee Greenwood

The lyrics to this songs and other country music songs made me feel really patriotic this weekend. I listened to the national anthem on YouTube and many other patriotic songs. Since I know the reason for the Memorial Day holiday listening to these songs were especially emotionality. I actually got goosebumps during these dramatic performances.
I went to a few barbeque's as well. I made sure to have traditional American foods. I had steak, potatos, and corn on the cob. I also had a hamburger with American cheese with French fries and coleslaw.
On the porch on my house my father and I hung up out giant American flag. We do this every year in honor of the day and to remember the fallen.

I will end this post with the great song Independence Day written and performed by
Martina McBride.

let freedom ring, let the white dove sing let the whole world know that
Today is a day of reckoning let the weak be strong, let the right be wrong roll
The stone away, let the guilty pay, it’s independence day

No comments: