Welcome...and initial guidelines...

This blog will be used in the spring of 2008 by 80+ students at Drexel University to investigate the effects of Iraq on culture and the reverse. Our goal will be to better understand why the US is in Iraq, and to question whether literature can help us on this journey.

Weekly plans and other materials will always be posted in Vista, not this blog. So go to Bb Vista to get the discussion prompts and other instructions.

I intend this blog to manage our discussions and track our collective investigation.

You should have received an email from me inviting you to become a contributor to this blog. The email was sent Monday afternoon to your official Drexel email address.

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Memorial Day

Based on my Memorial Day weekend I cannot really comment because it was out of the norm of my usual holiday. I remained at school this weekend because I live in Boston, Massachusetts and it is expensive for me to go home. I am choosing to comment on a typical Memorial Day weekend for years past. Previously I attended in the morning a service where veterans would speak about their experiences in the war. I found this very enlightening because I have never been in war and don’t know how it goes. My bother and friends would sing in the chorus songs that represent the war, and patriotism. For instance the Star-Spangled Banner and America the beautiful.
After this memorial we would travel to the cemetery and visit my mother, grandmother and grandfathers gravesites. This would just serve as a memorial allowing us to remember the times when they were still with us. While this was a very solemn time it allowed me to get even closer to my family, living and deceased. As we would wander around the cemetery we would just observe all the soldiers that had died for our sake. People had put flags up the day before on all of the soldiers gravesites as a form of respect and thanks.
After all this we would travel to my buddies house and we would have a cookout and celebrate the long weekends culmination with friends and family.

No comments: