Welcome...and initial guidelines...

This blog will be used in the spring of 2008 by 80+ students at Drexel University to investigate the effects of Iraq on culture and the reverse. Our goal will be to better understand why the US is in Iraq, and to question whether literature can help us on this journey.

Weekly plans and other materials will always be posted in Vista, not this blog. So go to Bb Vista to get the discussion prompts and other instructions.

I intend this blog to manage our discussions and track our collective investigation.

You should have received an email from me inviting you to become a contributor to this blog. The email was sent Monday afternoon to your official Drexel email address.

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

memorial day weekend

Every year for memorial day, I go to some person in my familys house. This year I went to my aunt's house for a bbq. Normally when we go, even though we are supposed to be celebrating memorial day, we don't really think or talk about it too much. We mention my grandfathers relatives that had been in the war, but thats pretty much the extent of it. This year we also talked about my aunt's neighbor, who joined the war and was sent to fight in Iraq. It made me think about how sad it is that all of these people risked their lives by fighting in these wars, and most of the people don't even remember their bravery on the day dedicated to commemorating their honor. I'm the same way, I normally don't think a lot about it, but I realize that they deserve this day to honor the memory of the bravery. It also wasn't the same without the rain, since it almost always rains on Memorial Day. The absence of rain made it feel like a completely different day altogether.

No comments: