Welcome...and initial guidelines...

This blog will be used in the spring of 2008 by 80+ students at Drexel University to investigate the effects of Iraq on culture and the reverse. Our goal will be to better understand why the US is in Iraq, and to question whether literature can help us on this journey.

Weekly plans and other materials will always be posted in Vista, not this blog. So go to Bb Vista to get the discussion prompts and other instructions.

I intend this blog to manage our discussions and track our collective investigation.

You should have received an email from me inviting you to become a contributor to this blog. The email was sent Monday afternoon to your official Drexel email address.

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Memorial Day, same thing as usual

My Memorial Day was the same as all the others. Me doing nothing at my house. Sure there is a parade and such, but I never go. I now have basic cable in order to save money. The only thing that I can actually stand to watch is the history or channel and cartoon network and thankfully they are only one channel apart. Watching the history channel I noticed it was all about war. This stuff actually caught my attention, so I sat there watching for hours. I watched about the war in the pacific and the US carriers and battles it went through. My city is trying to make people remember about war. There is a park where all the roads are named after wars, there is a statue about the Civil war in the corner between two main roads. There is actually a school called Veterans Memorial. I actually attended this middle school and read in a newspaper that the Korean War veterans donated nine flags representing every branch of the military and a new American Flag to replace the old one. The paper said there was a ceremony and everything.

No comments: