Welcome...and initial guidelines...

This blog will be used in the spring of 2008 by 80+ students at Drexel University to investigate the effects of Iraq on culture and the reverse. Our goal will be to better understand why the US is in Iraq, and to question whether literature can help us on this journey.

Weekly plans and other materials will always be posted in Vista, not this blog. So go to Bb Vista to get the discussion prompts and other instructions.

I intend this blog to manage our discussions and track our collective investigation.

You should have received an email from me inviting you to become a contributor to this blog. The email was sent Monday afternoon to your official Drexel email address.

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

An eventful Memorial Day Weekend

Over the weekend, I visited many sights all throughout central pennsylvania. On Saturday I went to the Renaissance Fair which had a the first annual flavor fest..sampling many different wines and beers as well as food. While everyone was walking/standing around laughing with family and friends, I thought about the Movie Three Kings and how we saw the scene where all the soldiers were drinking, getting drunk and having a great time..so I just thought about all those that arent with us today because of losing their life in battle, and how those nights of drinking were their last happy memories. Also driving through Gettysburg I saw the many statues with horses..each resembling different meanings to the war and each general. It was very interesting to hear all about the history and putting myself at the exact same place as those soldiers, visualizing the fighting which just gave me chills. I also went to a really cool brewery and went on a tour and learned a bunch of history about the place. I went to various different tourist attractions and just learned so much. There were moments when I wasn't even thinking about memorial day, just thinking about how much fun I was having, which I guess is selfish, but I'm sure alot of people are absent minded to the whole weekend, unless they were affected by the wars, were in them, or family died in them or they are just really patriotic people. When I was talking to my bestfriend that was in the war, he was telling me that he didnt celebrate the day like he should have. He said that you are supposed to pay respect and tribute to the people that died serving the country. He said that he was supposed to wear his uniform and go somewhere where there were veterans, or a memorial service/cemetary. He said that most people think of it as a day off from work however if you are in the military it holds a deeper meaning to your heart and you take a moment of silence to think about those that sacrificed their lives for us.


No comments: