Welcome...and initial guidelines...

This blog will be used in the spring of 2008 by 80+ students at Drexel University to investigate the effects of Iraq on culture and the reverse. Our goal will be to better understand why the US is in Iraq, and to question whether literature can help us on this journey.

Weekly plans and other materials will always be posted in Vista, not this blog. So go to Bb Vista to get the discussion prompts and other instructions.

I intend this blog to manage our discussions and track our collective investigation.

You should have received an email from me inviting you to become a contributor to this blog. The email was sent Monday afternoon to your official Drexel email address.

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Burn

So this weekend i spent my Sunday on a couple of "shores" near Atlantic City. First I experienced what it felt like to be buried under sand, then watch as a pyramid of sand and water is built above me. My friends were nice enough to ask the children near by if they'd like to help. This was a good experience as I've never been buried so well. I learned that with enough weight, your chest can't rise when you breath. It hurts.

Sometime between the being buried and 13 year olds asking me for beer, i remember feeling a crisping sensation on my shoulders and back. Yes, i was getting sunburned. The sun seems so much more powerful than it did years ago, when SPF 20 was more than enough.

At the time i didn't think about it, but now that i sit down i think about the warriors in Iraq and the hot sun they must endure. Do they get sun screen? Or do they not even have to worry about the harmful UV rays because of the large amounts of clothing and uniform they're required to wear? In which case they're probably sweating like pigs. Neither option sounds pleasing.

No comments: