Welcome...and initial guidelines...

This blog will be used in the spring of 2008 by 80+ students at Drexel University to investigate the effects of Iraq on culture and the reverse. Our goal will be to better understand why the US is in Iraq, and to question whether literature can help us on this journey.

Weekly plans and other materials will always be posted in Vista, not this blog. So go to Bb Vista to get the discussion prompts and other instructions.

I intend this blog to manage our discussions and track our collective investigation.

You should have received an email from me inviting you to become a contributor to this blog. The email was sent Monday afternoon to your official Drexel email address.

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

The Gatekeeper

Drexel University is a campus filled with thousands of students hustling about the city, making noise, and making their presence known. Memorial Day weekend was the opposite at Drexel University. It seems as dead as the soliders we were memorializing. Everyone seemed to have left campus for the weekend, most going home to celebrate Memorial Day back in their own hometown with parades, barbeques, family, and friends. Instead I choose to stay on campus and take advantage of the pay inflation of time and a half. Working the desk in the dorms I provide the security for both North and Myers Hall during the day. I find this to be amusing since my scrawny 5 foot 9 frame and 115 pound could not protect a fly. But it made me think of the sliders who protected our country throughout the years. They, like me, at one point were not the trained soldier’s that fought in battle. Some were nerds, college students, and twigs like me. At the gate I felt as if I had the power. Letting certain individuals in, ones with an ID card, symbolic of residency in a country, were allowed to proceed on while others were detains or sent away. Overall the day left me thankful of the soldiers that learned their skill in order to protect myself and my rights.

No comments: