Welcome...and initial guidelines...

This blog will be used in the spring of 2008 by 80+ students at Drexel University to investigate the effects of Iraq on culture and the reverse. Our goal will be to better understand why the US is in Iraq, and to question whether literature can help us on this journey.

Weekly plans and other materials will always be posted in Vista, not this blog. So go to Bb Vista to get the discussion prompts and other instructions.

I intend this blog to manage our discussions and track our collective investigation.

You should have received an email from me inviting you to become a contributor to this blog. The email was sent Monday afternoon to your official Drexel email address.

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

This Memorial Day weekend sucked

I didn't even get to eat a over-cooked cheeseburger, it was so upsetting. I have always associated Memorial Day weekend with a barbecue of some sort, but this weekend I had non of that. It started when my father told me that it was too much money for a train ticket or drive down to pick me up for just the weekend. I really didn't do anything that you typically would do on this weekend. Most the food that i ate was Chinese food, and i still don't really know why we ate that. The only really "American" thing that I did this weekend was go to see the new Indiana Jones Movie. It was pretty cool to watch, mainly only for nostalgic reasons. The Memorial day box office weekend is always a pretty strong one for films but Indiana Jones was really the only choice of films that were out this weekend. This weekend was really just a reminder that my life has changed and the simplicity of my adolescent life is gone forever. Not many really think about what Memorial Day actually means and that doesn't make a difference to me. This weekend is just an indication to the fact that summer is on the way and maybe we'll get to relax then, but probably not.

No comments: