Welcome...and initial guidelines...

This blog will be used in the spring of 2008 by 80+ students at Drexel University to investigate the effects of Iraq on culture and the reverse. Our goal will be to better understand why the US is in Iraq, and to question whether literature can help us on this journey.

Weekly plans and other materials will always be posted in Vista, not this blog. So go to Bb Vista to get the discussion prompts and other instructions.

I intend this blog to manage our discussions and track our collective investigation.

You should have received an email from me inviting you to become a contributor to this blog. The email was sent Monday afternoon to your official Drexel email address.

Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Memorial Day

Memorial Day is a holiday intended to reflect upon the fallen soldiers, and honor them. However, Memorial Day as I saw it this past year was just a day that people only cared about the fact that they had off. Everyone I talked to was either going to a party, going to the shore, or just sleeping in with their day off. Going to a party doesn't sound too bad when it is a Memorial Day party meant to honor the holiday. Yet, how many of those parties take a moment away from their food and beer to honor the fallen heroes? I find myslef guilty of this pleasure as well. Except for the fact that I spent my Memorial day working to make extra money, I did attend a party on Sunday. At the party all I thought about was the food and friends around me, not the reason for the party. The only true act of patriotism that I witnessed this holiday came from my girlfriend's father, and I praise him for it. He is a member of the Air Force Reserves and he spent his day off down at his base in Maguire, NJ. Every year he goes down with a couple of his fellow troops and just hang around the base, talking and maybe working on some things. This year was extra special for them because their troop had just returned from Iraq, so that were extra happy to be home, and were thankful that they were all home. More patriotism should come from all US citizens on this holiday, not just the troops.

No comments: