Welcome...and initial guidelines...

This blog will be used in the spring of 2008 by 80+ students at Drexel University to investigate the effects of Iraq on culture and the reverse. Our goal will be to better understand why the US is in Iraq, and to question whether literature can help us on this journey.

Weekly plans and other materials will always be posted in Vista, not this blog. So go to Bb Vista to get the discussion prompts and other instructions.

I intend this blog to manage our discussions and track our collective investigation.

You should have received an email from me inviting you to become a contributor to this blog. The email was sent Monday afternoon to your official Drexel email address.

Monday, May 26, 2008

Memorial Day Weekend

I actually didn't even leave campus for the holiday, I really had no reason to go home so I stayed and enjoyed the absence of my roommate. The one thing that does cross my mind for this holiday weekend, is the same thought that has been continuouslycrossing my mind for the past 9 months or so, will my cousin soon be one of the thousands of soldiers who have died serving their country. I wouldn't say I have a military family per say, but my mother as well as my father served in both the air force and the army, that is where they met and that is also where they met all of their closest friends. The 'cousin' I speak of is actually the son of one of their friends, theere isnt actually any blood relation but we grew up refering to eachother as cousins. I don't want to see him shipped off to some warring country where there is no guarentee he will return and if he does, he will never be the same person. I'm going to honest, Memorial Day meant little to nothing to me previously, I'm not one for politics or war, but at this time, I don't think the choice is really my own, all of the deaths that have resulted from a war that is being fought for reason that aren't too clear is a reason to observe this holiday.

No comments: