Welcome...and initial guidelines...

This blog will be used in the spring of 2008 by 80+ students at Drexel University to investigate the effects of Iraq on culture and the reverse. Our goal will be to better understand why the US is in Iraq, and to question whether literature can help us on this journey.

Weekly plans and other materials will always be posted in Vista, not this blog. So go to Bb Vista to get the discussion prompts and other instructions.

I intend this blog to manage our discussions and track our collective investigation.

You should have received an email from me inviting you to become a contributor to this blog. The email was sent Monday afternoon to your official Drexel email address.

Monday, May 26, 2008

Introduced to War

This weekend, I went down the shore with my family and friends for a weekend of relaxation and enjoyment. To be honest, I doubt many of us were remembering the fallen U.S. soldiers or those serving our country presently; instead, we were thinking about things like, where are we going to eat and what are we going to do. But, during the trip, I was introduced to a friend of my cousin, who had previously served in the military. He seemed very nice and personable, and after talking to him for awhile, he really began opening up to me, telling me how he had leg problems and was in constant pain, how he was suffered emotionally and mentally, and how he felt as if he wasn’t a normal part of society. His legs had blown out while he was in service and he was on several medications for mental health reasons, particularly anxiety and depression. I have read about those types of things in the newspaper or magazine articles, but in all honesty, it never hit me as hard as when I sitting there in front of someone who had been directly affected this way. Now, I know that most of this has nothing to do with really remembering the fallen soldiers, but seeing firsthand how someone had been affecting for our country’s safety made me realize that I owe at least a moment of remembrance and thankfulness to those who sacrificed their lives.

No comments: