Welcome...and initial guidelines...

This blog will be used in the spring of 2008 by 80+ students at Drexel University to investigate the effects of Iraq on culture and the reverse. Our goal will be to better understand why the US is in Iraq, and to question whether literature can help us on this journey.

Weekly plans and other materials will always be posted in Vista, not this blog. So go to Bb Vista to get the discussion prompts and other instructions.

I intend this blog to manage our discussions and track our collective investigation.

You should have received an email from me inviting you to become a contributor to this blog. The email was sent Monday afternoon to your official Drexel email address.

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Memorial Day Weekend

My weekend was very uneventful. I stayed here at Drexel along with the only other 10 residents in my building. I stayed in the majority of the time and watched a couple of movies. One movie I watched was We Were Soldiers, which happens to be one of my favorite movies. It is about the Vietnam War and the soldiers who fought in it. The movie depicts one battle in particular in which thousands of soldiers died. This movie was very fitting for Memorial Day because you can’t help but think of all the fallen soldiers after watching it. After I was done watching the movie I thought of all the veterans I know and the people in Iraq that I know. I also found myself thinking of my twin brother who is in boot camp for the Marines right now, praying that he never sees a battle like the one depicted in the movie.

No comments: