Welcome...and initial guidelines...

This blog will be used in the spring of 2008 by 80+ students at Drexel University to investigate the effects of Iraq on culture and the reverse. Our goal will be to better understand why the US is in Iraq, and to question whether literature can help us on this journey.

Weekly plans and other materials will always be posted in Vista, not this blog. So go to Bb Vista to get the discussion prompts and other instructions.

I intend this blog to manage our discussions and track our collective investigation.

You should have received an email from me inviting you to become a contributor to this blog. The email was sent Monday afternoon to your official Drexel email address.

Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Memorial Day

This is the first time that I have been a part of memorial day because this is my first time in America. I know that the memorial day celebrates the bravery of those soldiers who gave up their lives to protect the freedom of this country. Many events are held all over the country to commemorate soldiers and their bravery. I got up pretty late in the morning and then watched a movie which had a very peculiar storyline.It was about three girls in Iraq who were passionate about soccer and wanted to see a game in the stadium. They could not do so as girls are not allowed in stadiums in Iraq. So they decided to dress up and boys and go see the game. They are successful in entering the stadium but they eventually get caught. The movie was very enthralling and it made me realize how oppressed women are in Iraq. I am happy I get to play soccer and I celebrated this by playing soccer in the evening.This was pretty much all I did on memorial day.

No comments: