Welcome...and initial guidelines...

This blog will be used in the spring of 2008 by 80+ students at Drexel University to investigate the effects of Iraq on culture and the reverse. Our goal will be to better understand why the US is in Iraq, and to question whether literature can help us on this journey.

Weekly plans and other materials will always be posted in Vista, not this blog. So go to Bb Vista to get the discussion prompts and other instructions.

I intend this blog to manage our discussions and track our collective investigation.

You should have received an email from me inviting you to become a contributor to this blog. The email was sent Monday afternoon to your official Drexel email address.

Monday, May 26, 2008

Memorial Day Weekend

For my holiday weekend, I worked. Since Memorial Day opens the pools, I worked as a lifeguard and will work until the summer ends. There were no parades in my neighborhood and there was no real celebration, but I heard something that caught my attention.
My mother's mom has a lot of brothers and sisters on her side and her sister's husband actually fought in the first Persian Gulf War and they have a son named Brandon. Well Brandon actually has to go to school today, and that was unbelievable to Brandon's father and the rest of the family. His father is proud of his past and what he has done, but has never bragged about it or told every person that he meets that he is a Veteran. But he is proud of what he has done and angry with the people that don't respect what he has done.
I believe that this day is special to many people, and even though me and my family don't go to a parade or celebrate it. We always remember that without those people, there is a good chance that the lives that we live today would not be the same.

No comments: