Welcome...and initial guidelines...

This blog will be used in the spring of 2008 by 80+ students at Drexel University to investigate the effects of Iraq on culture and the reverse. Our goal will be to better understand why the US is in Iraq, and to question whether literature can help us on this journey.

Weekly plans and other materials will always be posted in Vista, not this blog. So go to Bb Vista to get the discussion prompts and other instructions.

I intend this blog to manage our discussions and track our collective investigation.

You should have received an email from me inviting you to become a contributor to this blog. The email was sent Monday afternoon to your official Drexel email address.

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Escapism in its Purest of Forms

This past Memorial Day was unlike any other I have ever spent. Usually, my Memorial Days revolve around heading to the Jersey Shore with my parents or simply enjoying a quaint barbecue with a few close family members. This Memorial Day, however, my father decided to take me out to a small, secluded airport located in the middle of Bucks County called Van Sant Airport. Since my dad is so awesome, he paid for me to fly a glider plane.
This all came as a surprise to me. I knew we were heading to such an airport, but I simply thought we were going to enjoy the day relaxing and watching the above planes. Before I knew it, I was strapped in a claustrophobic cockpit with foreign gauges and a joystick situated in between my legs. A trained pilot was sitting right behind me. 
After a few minutes of waiting for runway traffic to clear, we were up in the air about two miles from the ground as I detached the tension line connecting the glider I was in to the plane in front of us (which was responsible for elevating us to this extreme height). While I was flying the glider and getting used to its mechanics, I drifted into a sort of daydream that was unlike anything I have experienced before. I experienced a sense of serenity and peace, haven been above all the troubles that plagued society below. In fact, this Memorial Day seemed to have a paradoxical theme attached to it. While others were preoccupied with remembering veterans (possibly veterans in their own family), I was transported to a different place entirely, where remembering those who served our country did not even happen to cross my mind. Essentially, while others were paying their respects to servers of our nation, I was detached from society completely.
After the hour plane ride, I went home and did homework, not thinking once about the importance of the holiday. I was relaxed and focused on enjoying time with my family. In retrospect, I do not regret my day at all. Seemingly being apathetic towards the holiday, this memorial day was a cathartic experience, one that I will remember for years to come. After all, there will always be more memorial days.

No comments: