Welcome...and initial guidelines...

This blog will be used in the spring of 2008 by 80+ students at Drexel University to investigate the effects of Iraq on culture and the reverse. Our goal will be to better understand why the US is in Iraq, and to question whether literature can help us on this journey.

Weekly plans and other materials will always be posted in Vista, not this blog. So go to Bb Vista to get the discussion prompts and other instructions.

I intend this blog to manage our discussions and track our collective investigation.

You should have received an email from me inviting you to become a contributor to this blog. The email was sent Monday afternoon to your official Drexel email address.

Monday, May 26, 2008

Every summer since I was born, I've spent it down the shore where my grandparents own a bakery in Ocean City. Once I turned 14 and was able to work there I have done it ever since. Memorial Day weekend is the big weekend kick off for the beach season down there and the island goes from being deserted to packed. Everything comes in full swing this weekend. Being as I have constantly grown up around this and you wake up at 3 am to start baking, Memorial Day weekend is extremely busy and there is no time for rest. When I stopped and thought about my weekend for this post, I can't say I directly did anything to celebrate the day other then feed lots of hungry beach goers. However, I was constantly on my feet this weekend and was able to get the job done and survive the crazy weekend. On a much larger and more grand scale that is what our troops do for this country. They get the job done. And for that everyone on this day, even if its just for a moment, should recognize that.

No comments: