Welcome...and initial guidelines...

This blog will be used in the spring of 2008 by 80+ students at Drexel University to investigate the effects of Iraq on culture and the reverse. Our goal will be to better understand why the US is in Iraq, and to question whether literature can help us on this journey.

Weekly plans and other materials will always be posted in Vista, not this blog. So go to Bb Vista to get the discussion prompts and other instructions.

I intend this blog to manage our discussions and track our collective investigation.

You should have received an email from me inviting you to become a contributor to this blog. The email was sent Monday afternoon to your official Drexel email address.

Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Ten-thousand different directions...

After reading the previous posts, my brain went off in about ten thousand different directions-- I couldn't pick just one thing to write about. Then I thought of what we initially are supposed to be talking about in these posts, the impact of the Iraq War on myself and my immediate family.

Honestly, previous to reading this blog I have never really contemplated the effects of the Iraq War; but this topic made me think of the current presidential election.

While on break, I had the pleasure of spending some time with my grandparents. While we were talking, the 2008 election came up; my sister went off on Obama this and that, while I pointed out that I feel that a Democrat will be elected into office. After I made that point, my grandfather pointed something else out-- he said that even though a majority of Americans want to get out of Iraq, we will probably not pull out. He also said that this country does not need another Vietnam on its hands; I agree with him. When we pull out of Iraq, I do not want to have another Vietnam; I feel that what happened there is unfortunate.

But back to the initial topic... overall, I really do not know how the Iraq War has impacted myself and my immediate family. None of my family members serve in the military, so we do not have the close tie that others have. I will admit, I do not watch the news nor read a newspaper. I feel that since Americans have these rights, to be able to freely do what they want; I am doing a disservice to my country, but that the same time, things seem to be getting along quite ok.

1 comment:

Andrew McCann said...

Feel free to go on constructive tangents...you don't have to 'obey' the main topic of the assigned blog if you've got something more interesting or pressing to discuss.