Welcome...and initial guidelines...

This blog will be used in the spring of 2008 by 80+ students at Drexel University to investigate the effects of Iraq on culture and the reverse. Our goal will be to better understand why the US is in Iraq, and to question whether literature can help us on this journey.

Weekly plans and other materials will always be posted in Vista, not this blog. So go to Bb Vista to get the discussion prompts and other instructions.

I intend this blog to manage our discussions and track our collective investigation.

You should have received an email from me inviting you to become a contributor to this blog. The email was sent Monday afternoon to your official Drexel email address.

Wednesday, April 2, 2008

An Unstable Iraq

I frequently read CNN’s website, and sometimes my newspaper back home, and the war is on both quite often. I am discouraged when I read that dozens or even hundreds of people have been killed by a suicide bomber or that marines get killed by roadside bombs. I know that it is a war, and that people get killed on both sides, but many Iraqi civilians are dying over there. Also, the stories of death squads roaming neighborhoods and killing people sounded like something unreal. Anytime I read about something taking place in Iraq, it’s often something I would be horrified to have happen in the US. I makes me a little more thankful to live here, in the world’s most powerful country, when I hear that others are being brutalized in such ways.

My family doesn’t have anyone serving in Iraq, and I would be afraid if any of them did. They don’t support the war very much, and my parents think that we’re over there for the wrong reasons. Personally, I think we have to bring the fight to the terrorists, and I think it was the right choice, considering even a ton of dems voted for it. It upsets me, though, that the Iraqi people are killing each other so much. Until safety is brought to that country, I think our troops need to keep fighting over there, so that we can fill the power gap that Saddam Hussein once filled and keep radical religious groups from killing innocent people.

No comments: