Welcome...and initial guidelines...

This blog will be used in the spring of 2008 by 80+ students at Drexel University to investigate the effects of Iraq on culture and the reverse. Our goal will be to better understand why the US is in Iraq, and to question whether literature can help us on this journey.

Weekly plans and other materials will always be posted in Vista, not this blog. So go to Bb Vista to get the discussion prompts and other instructions.

I intend this blog to manage our discussions and track our collective investigation.

You should have received an email from me inviting you to become a contributor to this blog. The email was sent Monday afternoon to your official Drexel email address.

Thursday, April 3, 2008

Orders to Leave

I do not come straight from a military family, but my girlfriend does. Her father has been in the Air Force for twenty plus years now, and is currently in the reserves. I have been with her for over three years now, so I know all bout his military experience, and how much it affects their family. He is currently 54 years old, a father of two, and a grandfather of my two year old daughter Madison. Last August, he received orders stating that he would be deployed the day after Christmas. He could not discuss details abbout where he was going, just that it was a four month tour. My girlfriend and her family were completely distraught; how could a 54 year old man receive orders to go overseas. It was clear just from his expressions after that that he was not happy going over for a war theat he personally did not believe in. However, he knew his duties and was ready to accept the orders, his family was not. My girlfriend was very upset and was having trouble comprehending the idea of him leaving. Good news came in November when he found out that he would not be leaving due to a physical. A doctor determined that he needed to have hip replacement, and this is probably the only case in which you will find someone happy to have hip replacement. He had the surgery at Thanksgiving time, and when his group left to be sent overseas, he remained home. He never had to go, but can you believe they were going to send a 54 year old man over there. We are supposed to be decreasing troops, and instead they want to send grandfathers over there. Also, now that he is medically cleared again, he may receive orders to leave again. Ultimately it is not his decision to make.
From what I have seen in the news, I do not feel that this war is justified or necessary. I don't know if it is the information presented to me in the news, or my beliefs, but I jst feel that there is nothing we can do over there. I will always support the troops currently serving, but I will not support the government that put them there.
I will however be the first to admit, at the beginning of the war, I felt it was justified. I was like every other citizen in this country. We were brutally attacked in NYC, and we were led to believe from our government that Iraq had weapons capable of attacking us worse than 9/11. I felt that we succeeded in removing Saddam Hussein from power, but since then I have seen no progress. All of his followers still have their beliefs, and will always hate us, we just can't do anything about that. I believe that it is time to bring our troops home.

1 comment:

Corey said...

"we were led to believe from our government that Iraq had weapons capable of attacking us worse than 9/11"

We were not led to believe they had WMD's. The information at that time all said that Saddam had weapons. The intelligence reports from all over the world said that Saddam had WMD's. Evan Hillary Clinton voted to authorize the war in Iraq. The intelligence turned out to be wrong. If we had the correct intelligence now would we have invaded Iraq? Probably not. It was a mistake to invade that country, so now lets fix the mistake and make the country work.

At the age of 54 why would he still be in the Army reserves if he did not want to be deployed? I dont know exactly how the army works, but cant he just not sign up and they will leave him alone?