Welcome...and initial guidelines...

This blog will be used in the spring of 2008 by 80+ students at Drexel University to investigate the effects of Iraq on culture and the reverse. Our goal will be to better understand why the US is in Iraq, and to question whether literature can help us on this journey.

Weekly plans and other materials will always be posted in Vista, not this blog. So go to Bb Vista to get the discussion prompts and other instructions.

I intend this blog to manage our discussions and track our collective investigation.

You should have received an email from me inviting you to become a contributor to this blog. The email was sent Monday afternoon to your official Drexel email address.

Thursday, April 3, 2008

For our Country?

The war in Irag has of course impacted me very much, but it's hard to tell with my family because I rarely if not all, talk to them. I know for me that when it happened at first I was very concerned about what was going on and how we were doing over there because my country is fighting. I was kind of scared to tell the truth. Terrorists and people fighting again. I never experienced a time in my life when we were going through a war so when the september 11th attack happened I was shocked. I remember exacty what class I had when I first found out. It was family consumer science in my old middle school. Everyone came in the room and the teachers had us sit down and watch what was coming over the television. Yes this is very important and a big deal to me. I stayed with what was going on for a while because I wanted to know but now that I am off to college I find myself dealing with my everyday life and getting caught up in that. Of course if I was a soldier then that would be always on my mind, but school is the big thing for me now. Going to get an education is my top priority and I kind of went off in that direction and left some of what happened in the past and tended not to bring it up. The war has been going on pretty long now so I sometimes don't know what to make of it. I hear that we are doing very well and am second guessed because we are stil their. Then I have to listen to the poilitical debate now because it's closing in on the 2008 presidential election. The democratic canidates like Clinton and Obama claim to pull us out of Irag as soon as they get elected, but if were still fighting over their then we must not have everything solved. Now I raise the question of what good it is to pull out? What will happen? Our democratic canidates say they will pull our troops out of the war, but what will that lead to? What if they regroup and bring the fighting over to our country. I feel I don't know that much politically to make a great argument, but I do stand on the point I just made of how they will regroup because it is fear that drives my thought. I'm quite tired of all the politics to say the least. If I'm elected president I will do this and that. Are you really going to do that? Stop going after each other as canidates and start running for the people. The canidates shouldn't try and be better than each other but prove themselves to the people of this country and then they will see who is the best. Politics play to much role in this war in Iraq. I've decided to take what information I know and make my own conclusion. I want to raise questions and see how good I can get them answered. I will be truthful in the fact that I don't watch as much news and coverage on the war. Maybe its' because I'm not sure on what to believe. Is the government covering up our eyes from seeing what is really happening. I feel there is much more to it than I can understand at this time, so I will take it slowly and collect information from the news and newspapers , but make a smart conclusion.

No comments: