Welcome...and initial guidelines...

This blog will be used in the spring of 2008 by 80+ students at Drexel University to investigate the effects of Iraq on culture and the reverse. Our goal will be to better understand why the US is in Iraq, and to question whether literature can help us on this journey.

Weekly plans and other materials will always be posted in Vista, not this blog. So go to Bb Vista to get the discussion prompts and other instructions.

I intend this blog to manage our discussions and track our collective investigation.

You should have received an email from me inviting you to become a contributor to this blog. The email was sent Monday afternoon to your official Drexel email address.

Wednesday, April 2, 2008

The War


Personally, I remember where and what I was doing when I heard about the initial bombings that sparks the war.  I was sitting in my 8th grade math class and the teachers were instructed to turn in the news and allow us to watch.  We sat in silence and watched the devastation of the kamikazes.  Calls came in for individual students and a lot of girls cried.  I didn't really know what to think at first, not really being a violent person. I was pretty mad and upset, I wanted to suit up and arm myself in order to go take down the opposition but I knew I was too young.  My family wouldn't allow me to join the armed forces anyway.  I definitely changed my thinking of how safe everything was, but I also thought that it was taken out of control.

I still believe that the conflict remains due to the price of oil and if it was up to me, I would bomb the country off the face of the Earth and claim its remains to the U.S.  I have no pity for their soldiers, their people obviously have a problem with us for one reason or another, it has been drawn out.  Our army has the ability and technology to take out every last breathing being with so much as entering their radar.  Its ridiculous that we still lose soldiers, this conflict shouldn't have lasted more than a week. If we were going to invade, then we should have did it in full force, without any remorse and taken the country as an American territory over seas.  

The war is a waste of the U.S.'s money, it's a waste of tax money, it's ridiculous what it has done to the prices of gasoline, and frankly it's crazy that we still lose lives to their militias to this day.  If it was up to be there wouldn't have been an Iraq on any maps post 2002.

No comments: