Welcome...and initial guidelines...

This blog will be used in the spring of 2008 by 80+ students at Drexel University to investigate the effects of Iraq on culture and the reverse. Our goal will be to better understand why the US is in Iraq, and to question whether literature can help us on this journey.

Weekly plans and other materials will always be posted in Vista, not this blog. So go to Bb Vista to get the discussion prompts and other instructions.

I intend this blog to manage our discussions and track our collective investigation.

You should have received an email from me inviting you to become a contributor to this blog. The email was sent Monday afternoon to your official Drexel email address.

Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Through My Eyes

I am a girl that does not read the newspaper, does not really watch the news, and until a couple months ago I did not think that the War effected me at all. My grandmother has a big family and her niece signed up to become part of this War. The family was stunned and could not believe that she would go and make a huge decision without talking to anybody in the family. The only reason that she did not ask anybody, is because she knew how the family felt about the War and the Government. They feel that the War is not needed and the Government needs to start helping the people. Even though that is how they feel, they worry about her every day and hope she comes home soon.
Well my cousin is now in training and will be deployed soon. So, I will have a family member fighting in the war soon, but has it effected me any other way? The war has not effected me directly, but I feel that it has effected the United State as a whole. I feel that the people of the United States have been financially and some people have been personally beat up by this War.
And my answer to the last question, why are we in Iraq? I don't know, or I should say that I don't understand. I understand why this War started, but I don't understand why we are still in Iraq. The Government and some people might see good coming out of this fighting, but I through my eyes I see people dying, people being hurt, money being lost, and people being changed forever.

No comments: