Welcome...and initial guidelines...

This blog will be used in the spring of 2008 by 80+ students at Drexel University to investigate the effects of Iraq on culture and the reverse. Our goal will be to better understand why the US is in Iraq, and to question whether literature can help us on this journey.

Weekly plans and other materials will always be posted in Vista, not this blog. So go to Bb Vista to get the discussion prompts and other instructions.

I intend this blog to manage our discussions and track our collective investigation.

You should have received an email from me inviting you to become a contributor to this blog. The email was sent Monday afternoon to your official Drexel email address.

Thursday, April 3, 2008

You First!

I have not been influenced by the war in Iraq what so ever. I don’t even personally know anyone, who was involved in the war or that was directly effected by it. Hell, I was not even in the US when the war started and the first four years of the fighting. Outside of the US, I have never seen any media coverage or news paper articles discussing the war in Iraq. Now that I have been in the US for some months and I thought that would change dramatically. Yet I still hardly see any media coverage or hear any conversations concerning the war in Iraq. It feels like the entire war is swift under the rug. However, now I have a chance to explore what is happening in Iraq and how other students feel about it with the help of English 103 and this blog.

The war in Iraq is not a popular topic outside of the US and Iraq. It really doesn’t concern any other nation expect the two that are involved in it. Here and there I hear people say that the rest world should care about what is happening in Iraq. However why should any other nations even give a damn? When the majority of the American public does not care. From the news and the media in the US, I think Americans seem to care more about the lives of celebrities than the lives of the soldiers fighting in Iraq. The evening news and the popular networks hardly have any coverage of what are happening in Iraq. Therefore Americans should start caring about the war in Iraq, and then they can expect other nations to care...

1 comment:

future_tristar said...

You bring up a very good point that there are only two nations that "seem to care" - Iraq and the United States.

I guess right now, the United States doesn't really view the events going on as a war, otherwise, wouldn't we try to seek out help from our allies and try to end it?